Skip to main content

While You Wait

While You Wait!

(Written by Joy A. Adewumi)


Okay before you discard this and move on to the next important thing, I'd like to say this is not an article talking about  waiting for that Mr/Miss Right.

Nah, though it may apply.

Stay tuned...



For some months now, I've been pursuing something and it's been more elusive than I anticipated. 

Whenever I think of how I've invested so much in it, financially, emotionally and even mentally, it's hard not to feel down and melancholic at how everywhere I turn I meet with either a closed door or a dead end.

And my melancholy and worry is usually so evident that even those around me notice and talk against it all the time, but don't blame me, disappointments have a way of bringing you to an all-time low.

However, I've learnt to take everything to God in prayer. 

I'm a firm believer of the fact that God is interested in every aspect of our daily lives. He's aware of our desires, dreams and aspirations and when they tally with His will for our lives, though it may take a while, but our expectations would not be cut short.

It's however one thing to know and believe God is in charge and another to actually live it out. 

We ought to learn to leave our problems at the altar and this involves leaving our worries, doubts and anxieties alongside. It means trusting God to fix what needs fixing and not dwelling on how or when He will.

It means finding ways to unwind, be happy and desist from letting that one request rule our lives, because if truly you believe God is the only one who can sort it out for you, then, He'll do just that if He wills and only when He wills. So, how does your worry help anything?

Christ even spoke about this extensively in Matthew 6, but I'll highlight verse 27 where it says,

"Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?"

You can interpret that as "which of you by taking thought (worrying, fretting and being anxious) can do anything about a situation where only God can do something?"

So, in view of this, amongst other interests to keep me busy while I wait on God for a miracle, I've learnt to indulge in things that make me happy, that make me smile and that lift my mood. 

Things that help me take my mind off the worry threatening in my chest. So much that sometimes when I rush into the room bursting at the seams with excitement, my sister is always keyed up thinking it's news about my endeavours, but every time so far, it's been just one funny or cute observation or the other.

My worries still get to me and sometimes I can't help but think, but then, I've learnt to pull myself out of that, rather than sink in deeper.

I've learnt to be happy and fill my life with other sweetness God has made available at my disposal while I wait.

You have to know that you are blessed regardless of how disadvantaged you consider yourself at the moment. If you'll just take your eyes off that one thing you think you're nothing without, you'll realize you're blessed. 

You have to stop thinking of what God has done for others and have not done for you and start thinking of what God has done for you and has not done for others if you'll see just how blessed you are. 

I've been doing that in recent times and I've realized I have blessings I never even asked for and didn't even think I needed to ask for but the lack thereof are is bane of some people's existence.

Finally, just believe God will do it.

For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly.
Psalm 84:11

Yours sincerely,
Spirit Pen.

Comments

Post a Comment

Recent posts you should see:

The Snare

THE SNARE (Written by Joy A. Adewumi) When the Pastor mentioned something about discernment two Sundays ago, I honestly didn't pay much attention. The mention struck a chord of warning in my heart, leaving in its wake a burden to pray, but I felt there were more important points to pray about and only mentioned it in passing.  Now, as I stared at the young girl in front of me, I knew that slight mention in the sermon must have been for me, but I'd missed my chance. 'He's the one! I swear!' Deborah cried with fat tears sliding down her cheeks as she pointed at me. The Principal's features were beginning to cloud over and her mother's fair-complexioned face was almost beet red with anger. 'He's been doing it since the beginning of the term.' She accused as more tears rolled down her face. Oh my word! How could a fifteen year old tell such boldfaced lies and act so well while at it?! I was not a pedophile for Pete's sake! How could I touch a gir

The Link... (The Precedent)

  The Link... (The Precedent) (Written by Joy A. Adewumi) 'Hey babes!' Mabel jumped at the sound of my voice, and I watched as her phone slipped from her hands and hit the rug with a small thud! 'Just thank God it's a rug, Mabs. What on earth has got you so jumpy?' I asked as I walked towards her, wanting to pick the phone and join her on the bed. But she beat me to it as she dived to the floor to grab the phone with a nervous laugh. My brows furrowed into a deep V at her jumpiness. What could be so private?! 'So... What were you up to?' I asked as I dropped my bag and sat on the bed where she was frantically tapping and swiping away on her object of fixation. She looked out of sorts... 'Uh... Mmn? You... You said?' She asked as she kept tapping, and then glanced up at me and said, 'You said something?' I let out a sigh and turned to her squarely and asked with narrowed eyes. 'Babes, you sure say you okay so?' 'Yea, ye

THE GIST!

THE GIST! Written by Joy A. Adewumi ‘Prisca, come, did you hear the gist?’ I overhead Mimi’s voice from the other side of the door as I let myself into my room where she was visiting with my roommate, Prisca. As I walked in, both heads turned to me and Mimi chirped, ‘ ehn-ehn , it’s even better that you’re here too.’ I gave her a sidelong look that screamed, “what did you hear again?” ‘Welcome,’ Prisca greeted as she laughed at my expression while Mimi twisted her mouth and said, ‘ Ehn , welcome! Sha come and sit down. Apparently neither of you has heard the latest.’ I shook my head at her and replied, ‘Me, I have to pray first, so that the Holy Spirit can guide my contribution to your gist.’ Prisca chuckled again, shaking her head at our exchange. Barely had I sat down with them than Mimi launch into her gist. ‘So, there’s big news about one Senior Pastor at Glory of Heaven Church!’ I groaned as I threw my head back while Prisca got into another laughing fit. ‘So this pastor, Mimi, w

Do not Crash-read!

Do not Crash-read! (Written by Joy A. Adewumi) My mum and I howled in laughter as we watched a rom-com together that fateful Friday night. It was our special routine and it never got monotonous, she is a great movie buddy and since the apple never falls far from the tree, we have similar habits, like running commentary as the movie plays and pausing a scene to have a good laugh, or playing it backwards to watch a scene over and over again. It wasn't a new movie, but the excitement and fun was always new! A scene played out where a sixteen year old was writing a letter to God as to how she wanted her future husband to look like and as she allegedly innocently went on, it turned out to be an in depth description of the her high school's basketball team captain. At the realization, almost at the same time, mum and I burst into laughter with popcorns half-chewed in our mouths. 'Talking of God and future husbands...' Mum suddenly quipped after our laughter died down